Desperate REs
I live somewhat outside of the mainstream of US culture because I don't watch television at all... but when I heard NBC was planning a drama series set in an infertility clinic for the fall lineup, I had to look up some information.
Oh, man. I soooooo can't wait. [/sarcasm]
It's kind of sad, really, because so many people in this culture are dealing with fertility issues, but most of us have the experience of being the patient, not being the healthcare provider. I think a sensitive drama series that represented the experiences and frustrations of patients could serve the dual purpose of resonating with infertiles while at the same time helping their families and friends understand what it's like to be inside that world. But "missing frozen embryos and impending malpractice suits"? I guess that's what will draw the larger audience in, but it's hard for me to imagine much good coming out of it. (And yes, I do realize that promoting good is not the goal of most American television, but that's also one reason why I never watch.)
Sometimes I wish there were a contemporary equivalent to thirtysomething. Or -- even better -- that thirtysomething were still on the air, in a fortysomething incarnation. Just think of the huge, dramatic story line they could do... after their wedding, Ellyn and Billy try for a few years, without success or with losses, before turning to ART and taking the viewers through the entire process. Or, in her mid-40s, Melissa gives up on meeting Mr. Right and decides to opt for international adoption as a single mom.
I know Hope had a miscarriage between the births of Janie and Leo, and there was some OPK/timed intercourse drama after that, but I still think there was a lot of ground that could have been explored, if the show had gone on longer. Because that was truly a show that understood the heartbreaking and absurd melodrama of daily life, if only as experienced by a small percentage of the population. It's not even like I was a huge fan, but I probably saw most of the episodes (when they were rerun on Lifetime after it was canceled -- back when I used to actually watch TV). And this is just the kind of story that that team could have handled.
Now watch me eat my words when it turns out that "Inconceivable" is a Zwick and Herskovitz production...
Inconceivable (Drama)
Airs: Fridays 10:00 PM (NBC)
Premise:
Come inside the world of the doctors of the Family Options Fertility Clinic in this ensemble drama, where one of the most complicated questions is to conceive -- or not to conceive. Assuredly, theirs is a noble quest as they help desperate couples give birth; however, clinic co-founders Dr. Malcolm Bower and Rachael Lew and their staff (including psychologist Lydia Crawford, Nurse Patrice, office manager Marrissa and attorney Scott) are not above their own occasional adventures involving sex, deception and secrets. Navigate through the ultrasound and super-egos, the missing frozen embryos and impending malpractice suits, and it's positively clear that life inside this clinic is anything but sterile.
Oh, man. I soooooo can't wait. [/sarcasm]
It's kind of sad, really, because so many people in this culture are dealing with fertility issues, but most of us have the experience of being the patient, not being the healthcare provider. I think a sensitive drama series that represented the experiences and frustrations of patients could serve the dual purpose of resonating with infertiles while at the same time helping their families and friends understand what it's like to be inside that world. But "missing frozen embryos and impending malpractice suits"? I guess that's what will draw the larger audience in, but it's hard for me to imagine much good coming out of it. (And yes, I do realize that promoting good is not the goal of most American television, but that's also one reason why I never watch.)
Sometimes I wish there were a contemporary equivalent to thirtysomething. Or -- even better -- that thirtysomething were still on the air, in a fortysomething incarnation. Just think of the huge, dramatic story line they could do... after their wedding, Ellyn and Billy try for a few years, without success or with losses, before turning to ART and taking the viewers through the entire process. Or, in her mid-40s, Melissa gives up on meeting Mr. Right and decides to opt for international adoption as a single mom.
I know Hope had a miscarriage between the births of Janie and Leo, and there was some OPK/timed intercourse drama after that, but I still think there was a lot of ground that could have been explored, if the show had gone on longer. Because that was truly a show that understood the heartbreaking and absurd melodrama of daily life, if only as experienced by a small percentage of the population. It's not even like I was a huge fan, but I probably saw most of the episodes (when they were rerun on Lifetime after it was canceled -- back when I used to actually watch TV). And this is just the kind of story that that team could have handled.
Now watch me eat my words when it turns out that "Inconceivable" is a Zwick and Herskovitz production...

6 Comments:
The thought of that television show scares me. While I agree it could do SO much to show what this process is really like, I have no faith that NBC will be able to pull it off. I hope I'm wrong.
Meanwhile, I'm in the 2ww with you. Beta (#1 hopefully) scheduled for 5/31.
By
Mellie, at 6:18 PM
I think NBC does us a sort of sneaky disservice by putting it on Friday nights ... as if they were saying that the only people who might watch are those who would also be at home on a Friday night. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)
I hope that there is at least some satisfaction to be gained from pointing out all the errors in the show.
By
Anonymous, at 8:40 PM
That's twisted. I think it will end up making the general public even more wary of and misinformed about fertility treatments.
By
K, at 1:44 PM
I agree that the proposed NBC show will add to the public's misconception about infertility, but the up side is that at least it'll be talked about.
It could always be worse though, can you imagine what Fox would do with a show like that :) The horrors!
By
PJ, at 4:08 PM
Ugh, what a horrible idea. Now THAT sounds like a FOX show.
This is why I don't watch television, though. I hate reality TV and find it more and more disturbing with every new iteration.
By
Susie, at 10:42 AM
I think exploring infertility and ART in more depth would be interesting.
By
Cody Garrett, at 6:38 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home