It's not a habit.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Society's "Obligation"

This bothers me. A Pennsylvania couple has four-year-old twins, plus sextuplets who are turning a year old and losing their Medicaid-funded in-home nurse:

She also believes society has an obligation to help.

[They] used fertility drugs. Modern medicine promotes such drugs, she argued, while downplaying the risk of higher-order multiples, such as sextuplets, which are beyond a family's ability to care for alone.

While selective abortion is offered, the [parents] rejected that on religious grounds.


I feel like this kind of thing gives ART a seriously bad image, much like the surrogate who delivered quintuplets recently. I don't know whether they used IVF or IUI, but having 6 children three years after twins makes me think that the doctor was not controlling the situation too well (at best) or seriously irresponsible (at worst). In the bigger picture, I think it hurts those who are lobbying for insurance coverage for infertility. Because it makes people undergoing ART look like selfish idiots.

I am sure these parents do need help taking care of their eight kids, and it sounds to me like there are a lot of people who have volunteered to help. However, that's not convenient for the family because of all the management required and the loss of privacy. But as a taxpayer, I find that I balk at wanting to pay for a nurse just because these people gave birth to their very own preschool class. This is bringing out the crazy ch*ld-fr*e freak in me. Maybe the people who volunteered to help would be willing to pay for the nurse. I just don't want to pay for her.

In more personal news, the ultrasound and blood draw went fine this morning. My endo thickness still hasn't gotten down to where it should be, but I was taking Provera for almost three weeks before the cycle started and I think my period is just getting a slow start. There's no reason to think it won't pick up like it should. They told me to continue the Bravelle shots for three more nights and then come back for monitoring on Thursday morning.

However, before we began this whole process, my doctor informed me that if I overstimmed and ended up with six big eggs, we would NOT be doing an IUI. Because that could result in MULTIPLES, see?

5 Comments:

  • I'm glad your u/s and b/w went well today. Good luck when you go back on Thursday.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 PM  

  • Good Luck to you!
    I could not agree more about the irresponsibility involved in transferring multiple embryos. Much as I hate the thought of legislating reproductive choices, it does seem to me that these kinds of cases court just that possibility...because for the sake of everyone--from the individual children to society at large--this kind of madness has got to stop.

    By Blogger Anne, at 9:29 AM  

  • Personal responsibility is such a foreign concept sometimes. Very maddening. Doesn't bring out the childless in me - just makes me dislike my fellow wo/man that much more. Good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:34 PM  

  • Oh Susie I'm so with you on this.
    I absolutely cringe when I read these things...makes you wonder what kind of parents they are - if they take any ownership for what they've done or the situation they've created. Those poor kids.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:22 PM  

  • Oh, and good news about your u/s and b/w!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home