Dangerous Stuff
Do you think the Nalg*ne bottles cause miscarriage thing holds any water? I tend to be skeptical of these kinds of stories, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I've only seen that one study that found any correlation, so I wouldn't exactly call it an overwhelming body of evidence. Still, I guess I'll quit using the two bottles I have (one at work, one at home), just in case.
I have such mixed feelings about that kind of information. There's a big part of me that really wants to know what I need to stay away from. Just tell me, and I'll cut it out completely! Gorgonzola cheese, deli meats, cannned tuna, artificial sweeteners, hair dye... the list goes on and on. And yet there's another part of me that believes that there's nothing I could have done to stop any of those miscarriages. And I strongly suspect that none of them were caused by too much gorgonzola cheese.
I have such mixed feelings about that kind of information. There's a big part of me that really wants to know what I need to stay away from. Just tell me, and I'll cut it out completely! Gorgonzola cheese, deli meats, cannned tuna, artificial sweeteners, hair dye... the list goes on and on. And yet there's another part of me that believes that there's nothing I could have done to stop any of those miscarriages. And I strongly suspect that none of them were caused by too much gorgonzola cheese.

4 Comments:
Hi Susie--
I found you through Barren Mare, and wanted to say hello. I'm so sorry for your losses. I look forward to reading more from you.
The whole "this substance/item/activity might or might not cause miscarriage" thing drives me batty. I like to think that if I'm ever successfully pregnant I'll take an everything-in-moderation approach, but the scare tactics of mass media are pretty powerful. Plus, the two main miscarriage narratives are totally incompatible: first, that there was nothing you could do to stop it and that it was probably not your fault, blah di blah. Second, the narrative that everything on earth might cause miscarriage. Maddening.
By
Anonymous, at 9:06 AM
Wait, what? You read my blog? I just clicked onto yours from the Camfire circle and have been really loving your entries. I just looked over to the scroll bar--wanting to find your archive and read your first entry to get the full backstory--and there was my blog. Listed! Rolled! Thank you, thank you. Thrilling to be enjoying someone else's well-written story and realize they've read mine.
Ahem. Since you too use blogspot, any chance you can help me figure out how to add links? I'm a total techno-dolt. I can't figure out blogger's template instructions at all. I have tried to follow their advice to cut and paste code, but I don't know how to write it or where to put it and it's driving me nuts. My template doesn't seem to look the way they say it will...
Going back to the archive now!
By
Anne, at 7:16 PM
Anne, I tried to explain it in email... let me know if it doesn't work and I'll be glad to try again.
And yes, I read your blog!
Yours too, Sarah!
By
Susie, at 10:02 PM
I've read your entire blog now and I just wanted to say how sorry I am for what you've been through. It just sucks, that's all there is to it. I agree with what Sarah said on "risky" activities and m/c and as we all know, if crack whores can spit them out like there's no tomorrow I doubt a plastic water bottle will have much affect.
By
Anonymous, at 10:53 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home