It's not a habit.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Nine months out

Today we had Alex's nine month appointment. He's doing great. He's crawling and cruising and getting into everything. He feeds himself almost everything he eats, mostly cut up table foods. He's such a little sweetheart.

The only fly in the ointment at the moment is daycare. He's only there two days a week, and he seems to have had some trouble adjusting. The place is accredited and really it was the only place I liked (of course, it was also the most expensive, and the farthest away), so I am not sure what we'll do if it doesn't work out. I would so much rather be at home full time instead of working part time, but my paycheck makes a very big difference to our financial picture and I will only quit if we absolutely can't work out the child care thing. I am meeting with them this week to talk about what we can do to help him get settled. I may write more about it later, but not today.

It is so cool to think that Alex has been out longer than he was in. He really seems to have settled into the world well. And into our family. I love to see the way his face lights up when he realizes it's bathtime or that Daddy is home. He is becoming more and more interactive with us every day. It is so exciting.

On Friday night I was at a scrapbooking party (I don't do scrapbooks, despite an ardent love of all things paper, but that's where I was) and there was a five-week-old baby there. I wondered, fleetingly, how I would feel around such a tiny little baby. She was cute and blonde, and oh so helpless, and I was surprised at my lack of response, any response at all. It wasn't like the old days when I would yearn and pine, but it didn't make me wistful for Alex's younger days, either. Five weeks old just seems like a very distant memory to me now, and I don't think I'm going back there.

We are still pretty sure that we're done trying to have babies. I've been taking Alex's clothes to the consignment shop as he grows out of them, and I've already made fifty dollars. We won't be needing them again. The last six years were so hard, I think both of us are happy to be able to put that part of our lives behind us. It is a relief.

3 Comments:

  • I love hearing how happy you are with alex, thank you for sharing with us. And I'm happy that you're happy with where you've got to on the size of your family. Sounds like you are all very happy, which is wonderful.

    By Blogger Thalia, at 7:28 AM  

  • Thanks for the update, Susie; it's great to hear from you. Alex sounds wonderful and you sound very peaceful with your family just the way it is. I am happy for you that you have a beautiful, healthy baby and that the angst-filled drive to give birth has left you. It's great that you are able to close the miscarriage chapters and move on contentedly to enjoying life and watching Alex grow.

    I wish you all the best with Alex's adjustment to daycare and hope that he gets settled in soon so that the transition will be easier for both of you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 AM  

  • Hey ya Sus...checking in and was happy to read this post. I so understand the parttime work thing - and I hope baby Alex settles in and feels better about daycare soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home