It's not a habit.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

One on one

My husband's been traveling a lot lately. In the last week alone, he's been gone five nights, on three different trips. Alex and I are doing okay together, but I am really tired. It's amazing how much energy it takes to do this alone. I have a lot of respect for the single parents.

The first time my husband had to go on a business trip after the baby arrived, it was for five days. This was when Alex was three months old. I was so freaked out about the prospect that I asked my m-i-l to come visit, and she did. It was good she was here, because five days and nights was a long time, especially before Alex started sleeping through the night. I was fine with getting up for every one of those feedings, but when Alex woke up for the last time (around 6 AM) I was really glad my m-i-l was here to take over for a couple of hours. It made a huge difference.

These days, the nights are easier. What's harder is that we have a busier schedule now and we go out a lot more, which is strenuous in its own way. Carrying the carseat one-handed these days means walking with over 20 pounds hanging from your fingers, and of course it's never the only thing I'm carrying. I think it's hard on Alex, too, when we're here alone together. He gets tired of being with the same person all the time, I know. I don't think I'm projecting when I say he misses his dad.

But we're doing fine. We were out a little late last night for my chorus (we don't have a babysitter, which is a post for another day) and he was cranky then, but he slept late this morning and he seems to be feeling better. Today we have plans to see a friend, which will give us both a welcome change of scenery. And tomorrow we'll meet up with two different groups of moms and babies, at nearby parks.

And then of course there's lots of playtime. Yesterday I bought this thing at Marshall's, and boy, is it a big hit. We roll it back and forth to each other, or he just sits and pats it and mouths it by himself. He finds it highly entertaining! And that's good enough for me.

2 Comments:

  • I worry about this a lot. My husband will return to extensive travel a month after ours is here. We don't have family available and most of the time I'm so scared I can't even confront the issue to figure out how to deal.

    Glad you seem to be doing so well, it's encouraging.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:08 PM  

  • I am so used to my husband being around and I enjoy his companionship so much that I feel a bit adrift and lost if we are separated for a few days. I can imagine how difficult it must be when you also have a baby to care for around the clock and your husband is away. I hope that your husband's business travel schedule will diminish soon so that he and Alex can spend more time together and so that you can get more rest.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home