It's not a habit.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Ridiculously Close

It is so weird to me that my due date is just 16 days away. I am so grateful we've made it this far. But it's really freaky, too.

So far there are no signs of imminent arrival. Last Monday I was partly effaced and less than 2cm dilated, and I've felt some contractions this week, but nothing regular.

The baby still moves a lot, most days, which I love. He takes up so much room now that I can often see him moving if I just look down at my belly. This afternoon/tonight he's been pretty quiet though, and just a little while ago I realized it had been hours since I noticed any movement. I hate it when he does that. So I pulled out the Babybeat for the first time in forever, and although it took me a while to find the heartbeat, it was there. I'm glad I hadn't sent the doppler back yet, because apparently I still need it. I actually had to get it out of the box I'd packed it in to send it back, but I think at this point I just need to keep it until the end...

Tomorrow is my weekly ultrasound, followed by a non-stress test, which are both generally very reassuring. I'll be interested to hear what the doctor says tomorrow. I would like to make it to February, but if there's any reason we shouldn't wait that long, I know they'll tell me straight out.

Two weeks ago they estimated the baby's size at 5lb 9oz, so if he's growing at a normal rate he could be 6.5 lbs now (and assuming their estimate was anywhere close to accurate).

This morning at the grocery store I found myself looking at a 6 pound chicken and thinking, Huh. How's that gonna happen, exactly?

Whoa.

6 Comments:

  • 16 days. I'd be looking quizzically at those chickens, too, if I was you. I do hope that junior is a gentleman about how he makes his appearance.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 AM  

  • 16 days! Wow, I had the same scare - but over many hours - too much, I decided to keep the doppler too.

    Note to self: do not look at meat. Ouch!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 AM  

  • Good luck with your ultrasound today, Susie. I hope that they reassure you that you will make it until February as you wish.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:11 AM  

  • Wow, you're so close. Best of luck to you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

  • yeah, but the chicken....it didn't have a head, now did it?

    that's the scary part!

    good luck!

    By Blogger moi, at 5:21 PM  

  • It'll happen!

    By Blogger Mellie, at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home