Hard to Concentrate
It is hard for me to concentrate when I have a prenatal appointment scheduled for 4:25pm. Not to mention, it's Friday.
I just read on MSN that Brooke Shields is pregnant again. I've been meaning to pick up her book... have any of you read it? I think she's five years older than me, so that's 41 or so. (Okay, IMDB says 40.) I think I remember reading that she did IVF to get her first baby.
Now I'm just waiting for Tom Cruise to tell us what to think about it.
Speaking of books, I've been reading The Long-Awaited Stork by Ellen Sarasohn Glazer. It's subtitled, "A Guide to Parenting after Infertility." So far it only scratches the surface of what I imagine to be the long-term effects of infertility, but at least the book acknowledges and discusses them more than other books do (at least the ones I've seen). I give it 4 out of 5 stars so far, and I'm about 70 pages in. Much of her discussion of pregnant infertiles is very perceptive, but not that different from what you read in blogs. Still, it's validating to read that the fears and feelings are normal. Anyway, I'm glad I got this book. It's a nice break from the really scary books I have about the birth process and breastfeeding.
I'm also reading Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson, about the 1900 hurricane that struck Galveston, Texas. It is an interesting book but harder for me to follow than Devil in the White City, by the same author, which I read last month. There's quite a lot of discussion of meteorological phenomena in this one and I am not very science-minded. I feel like his style of writing history lends itself more to the Chicago World's Fair (the subject of Devil) than it does to the hurricane. But it's interesting anyway.
Unlike this blog post. Sorry about that.
I just read on MSN that Brooke Shields is pregnant again. I've been meaning to pick up her book... have any of you read it? I think she's five years older than me, so that's 41 or so. (Okay, IMDB says 40.) I think I remember reading that she did IVF to get her first baby.
Now I'm just waiting for Tom Cruise to tell us what to think about it.
Speaking of books, I've been reading The Long-Awaited Stork by Ellen Sarasohn Glazer. It's subtitled, "A Guide to Parenting after Infertility." So far it only scratches the surface of what I imagine to be the long-term effects of infertility, but at least the book acknowledges and discusses them more than other books do (at least the ones I've seen). I give it 4 out of 5 stars so far, and I'm about 70 pages in. Much of her discussion of pregnant infertiles is very perceptive, but not that different from what you read in blogs. Still, it's validating to read that the fears and feelings are normal. Anyway, I'm glad I got this book. It's a nice break from the really scary books I have about the birth process and breastfeeding.
I'm also reading Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson, about the 1900 hurricane that struck Galveston, Texas. It is an interesting book but harder for me to follow than Devil in the White City, by the same author, which I read last month. There's quite a lot of discussion of meteorological phenomena in this one and I am not very science-minded. I feel like his style of writing history lends itself more to the Chicago World's Fair (the subject of Devil) than it does to the hurricane. But it's interesting anyway.
Unlike this blog post. Sorry about that.

8 Comments:
I heard Brooke Shields went through IVF seven times to get pregnant, and also had a miscarriage in there somewhere. I wonder if she did IVF again.
By
Anonymous, at 5:57 PM
I loved Devil in the White City, maybe I should pick up the other book.
By
PJ, at 12:01 PM
A friend just told me that Brooke Shields got pg "naturally" - she did go through ivf hell to get pg w/ #1 (I think she went bar hopping during the 2ww because she thought she was doomed). Didn't read her book, but my friend did.
By
Anonymous, at 9:02 AM
She had a miscarriage after the first IVF attempt and had her daughter from the 7th. I have to admit I suspected that she'd used donor eggs because after than many failures, well . . . but the kid looks just like her. She's been really open about it, which is a nice change of pace. Good for her.
By
Anonymous, at 10:37 AM
I hope that your prenatal appointment went well, Susie.
Thanks for mentioning the book about parenting after infertility. I think that would be interesting to read. I sometimes worry that, due to my miscarriages, if I ever have a child that I will be an over-protective parent (which wouldn't be much fun for either me or the child).
By
Anonymous, at 11:22 AM
Hi Susie, just wanted to say I hope your appointment went well.
By
Anonymous, at 5:57 AM
Hope everything is going well.
By
Cathy, at 2:49 PM
Um, Susie? Where are you, hon? You can't just announce an appointment and then give us no update. Some of us are serious worry warts. Still, you left me an upbeat comment on 10/31 (thank you) so I'm going to assume everything was A-OK.
By
Anne, at 10:15 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home