It's not a habit.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Nothing much new to report

Oh, God. September 12 already? Time is really flying by here.

Work is very busy. I had to travel for a meeting last week, which was more strenuous than I expected. This week I have a lot of follow-up stuff to do, although I'm still so beat from the travel that I'm really not having a very productive Monday. Therefore, I blog.

Tomorrow will be 19 weeks. I had a small amount of spotting over the weekend while I was still out of town, but it stopped on its own by yesterday afternoon, so I didn't call the doctor. The heartbeat was audible this morning via doppler, so I assume all is still well.

Thursday is the level II ultrasound. My husband had to travel unexpectedly for business this week, so he won't be there. I'm trying not to think about what happened the last time he had to miss an ultrasound, but hopefully it won't be so dramatic this time. I expect they will be able to confirm the sex, which we learned a couple of weeks ago during our Emergency Room ultrasound. (It's a boy.)

Someday soon I should be able to feel movement. They say it happens between 18 and 22 weeks, but I am jealous of people who start to feel it at 16 or 17 weeks. Come on, come on, come on!

Mostly I've been feeling a lot better. For those who have asked lately when the worry will start to go away, my answer is that it happened somewhere in the second half of the 4th month. I wouldn't say I never have DBTs anymore, but they are much rarer than they were even a month ago. I still use the doppler an average of once a week or so, and I don't get freaked out if I don't find the heartbeat right away. My doctors have been very encouraging and optimistic, and that makes me feel a lot calmer too. Mostly it's just knowing that I'm almost halfway through, and feeling the weeks start to go by faster and faster. That's helping a lot.

Still, even with a much more positive outlook in general, a couple of weeks ago I was feeling very down. I know a big part of it was my response to the hurricane, but the rest of it was related to the pregnancy, and concerns about transitioning from IF to possible parenthood. Feeling so low got me worried about postpartum depression. My doctors already warned me that I had a few risk factors for it, such as my prior miscarriages and my age, and I would add to that a due date in early February. I always tend to get a little down in the wintertime. And it scares me. Because this is something I've wanted for so long, and I want to enjoy it when it happens.

So I've decided to go and find a therapist now. My first appointment is Thursday, after the ultrasound. I figure that having a few appointments now will give her a baseline understanding of my issues and who I am, and then if I need to talk to her in February it will be easy enough to start going again. And hey, I've got enough issues with the pregnancy itself to keep us busy until then, if need be. I found someone who does a lot of work on family dynamics, so that should help me get ready as well. I am feeling good about taking this positive step.

And that's the update from the end of the 18th week. I am looking forward to NEXT Tuesday, when I can write and say I'm halfway through.

7 Comments:

  • I too worry about being depressed when February comes around. I've wanted this for so long but at times it does seem overwhelming. Very strange. Congrats on 19 weeks! Hard to believe 20 is right around the corner, isn't it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:20 AM  

  • OMG 19 weeks? You're halfway there!!
    As for feeling fetal movement, it should start any day now, and once it does you'll feel even more reassured that everything's all right. I think it's great that you're seeking early intervention for depression - all the better for you in case February throws you for a loop.
    I hope the therapy goes well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:29 AM  

  • Congrats on 19 weeks! Looks like Thursday is going to be a busy day.

    I'm completely with you on taking a preventative step on the ppd front!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:32 AM  

  • Congrats Susie. It's good to hear that things are still moving along uneventfully.

    By Blogger PJ, at 8:57 AM  

  • End of the 18th week--yay! I'll be thinking of you on Thursday when you have your ultrasound; how fun that you will be able to find out for sure whether you're having a boy!

    I think you are very wise to get lined up with a therapist right now, and I hope that you like her and that your meeting with her goes well. I went to counseling for a while after my third miscarriage, and it helped me tremendously. My counselor warned me that a history of recurrent miscarriages is a risk factor for post partum depression, so I am planning to go see her again if I ever actually get close to having a baby.

    Please let us know when you feel the baby move! That will be so exciting!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 AM  

  • I'm dying to know how the US went. Hoping to hear a good report soon!

    By Blogger Wendy Orrison and Holly Snyder, at 5:49 PM  

  • Just wanted to send my congrats on 19 weeks, and hope that the spotting has gone away.

    Good luck.

    By Blogger April, at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home