Here's to making it through July
Back at the beginning of June, August 1 seemed so far away:
And yet, here we are. Amazing.
The ultrasound went well today. The fetus wasn't as active as it has been at other appointments, but everything was within normal parameters. It was measuring about 13w3d, and the nuchal fold was well within normal range for gestational age, although the little critter was mighty stubborn about turning around and letting the tech take the measurement. She tried for close to 45 minutes -- externally and with the wand -- and finally got close enough to get a good reading. Even I was tired of watching the screen by that point, although as always, it's reassuring.*
We won't have the full results of the screening until the bloodwork comes back in a week or so. The genetic counselor said that the presence of the other sac (which is still hanging out in there) could skew the numbers a little. But for now I'm not worried. I always work myself up before those ultrasound appointments, but the reassurance lasts for a while. And once I catch the heartbeat on the at-home doppler I think I'll feel a lot better between visits to the doctor.
I guess we'll wait until we get the full report back before telling the family, although I will have to see how my husband feels about that. He may not be able to wait any longer. I understand.
And I guess today is the day I reset the NBHHY clock. I am still sad about the embryo we lost in week 9, but I do hope that having only one to grow means my body will be able to provide a good enough home for the next six months. Please, please, please.
I've never even made it to the end of the first trimester before. I know there is still a long way to go. But I am hoping to prove myself right. All those miscarriages? Really, really not a habit.
*For those of you who like ultrasound pictures, here are a few: profile, face, and foot. I am particularly fond of the scary skull-face one. I told my husband that the fetus obviously inherited his looks.
I wish I could just skip to the end from here. Because thinking about the next 8 months is really stressing me out. Forget the 8 months -- even the next 8 weeks seem totally interminable. I've never made it out of the first trimester before, so I'm a little fixated on that right now. These next two months seem like a calendar year when I think about living through them.
And yet, here we are. Amazing.
The ultrasound went well today. The fetus wasn't as active as it has been at other appointments, but everything was within normal parameters. It was measuring about 13w3d, and the nuchal fold was well within normal range for gestational age, although the little critter was mighty stubborn about turning around and letting the tech take the measurement. She tried for close to 45 minutes -- externally and with the wand -- and finally got close enough to get a good reading. Even I was tired of watching the screen by that point, although as always, it's reassuring.*
We won't have the full results of the screening until the bloodwork comes back in a week or so. The genetic counselor said that the presence of the other sac (which is still hanging out in there) could skew the numbers a little. But for now I'm not worried. I always work myself up before those ultrasound appointments, but the reassurance lasts for a while. And once I catch the heartbeat on the at-home doppler I think I'll feel a lot better between visits to the doctor.
I guess we'll wait until we get the full report back before telling the family, although I will have to see how my husband feels about that. He may not be able to wait any longer. I understand.
And I guess today is the day I reset the NBHHY clock. I am still sad about the embryo we lost in week 9, but I do hope that having only one to grow means my body will be able to provide a good enough home for the next six months. Please, please, please.
I've never even made it to the end of the first trimester before. I know there is still a long way to go. But I am hoping to prove myself right. All those miscarriages? Really, really not a habit.
*For those of you who like ultrasound pictures, here are a few: profile, face, and foot. I am particularly fond of the scary skull-face one. I told my husband that the fetus obviously inherited his looks.

14 Comments:
YAY! So glad to hear all was well and you can say goodbye to the first trimester. And I think your little alien is adorable.
By
Anonymous, at 5:52 PM
I'm so glad things are going well. Congratulations on reaching such an important milestone!
By
Anonymous, at 6:26 PM
I got to see a picture!!! I am so excited. That was such a bonus.
Glad to hear that all went well today.
NBHHY!!!
By
Amanda, at 7:35 PM
There's a baby in there Susie. Those u/s pics are great.
I'm glad things are going well for you.
By
PJ, at 7:55 PM
Oh Susie your wee little one is adorable! Congrats on making it to this milestone- and I am so happy to read that all is well!
By
Anonymous, at 8:53 PM
Susie - It's a huge milestone for you. I'm so thrilled. May the next 8 weeks fly by too.
By
Mellie, at 8:59 PM
Wow! You have a real live baby in there :)
By
Anonymous, at 12:02 AM
Woohoo! Congratulations, Susie!!! That is great news, and I am so happy for you! How wonderful to make it out of the first trimester...and especially with such a cute little baby!
By
Anonymous, at 9:16 AM
So glad you're out of trimester #1, with great photos and all. Wishing you even less worries in the months to come.
By
Anonymous, at 11:13 AM
Excellent news and I like the profile photo. Is that a brain in there?
By
Cathy, at 3:04 PM
Boy, I sure hope so, Cathy...
By
Susie, at 3:57 PM
Susie that's wonderful news, I'm delighted for you, in particular because you sound like you're starting to let yourself enjoy it. I will be hoping along with you that this is it.
By
Anonymous, at 5:14 AM
Great news!! I'm so relieved for you. Here's to the second trimester!
By
Wendy Orrison and Holly Snyder, at 10:21 AM
That's great. Keep up the good work.
By
Anonymous, at 4:10 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home