It's not a habit.

Monday, January 16, 2006

End Game

Tomorrow is 37 weeks. I remember back at the beginning, when I was 5w5d, reading IF blogs and feeling so desperately jealous when those women were past 30 weeks. It seemed like I would never, ever make it. I still can't believe I'm here.

The GD monitoring is going fine. My husband came along today for my ultrasound/nonstress test/OB appt, mostly because the practice got a new 3D/4D ultrasound machine last week. We got to see some shots of the baby that really looked a bit more babylike than what we usually see on the u/s. He appears to have my nose. And a cute little chin.

The bag for the hospital is packed, although I need to open it back up and put in my slippers and robe. I have two nursing bras that fit and two that I need to send back. The baby is moving visibly. And my OB reported today that my cervix is 50% effaced and almost 2cm dilated. Still a ways to go, but things are moving in the right direction.

Now we're trying to figure out the cord blood thing -- whether to do it or not, and if so, with which company (yes, we're both procrastinators). We're trying to finish things up around the house, hanging the curtains and rearranging stuff. The baby clothes are mostly washed, and the sheets are on the bassinet and the crib.

Our cat is still trying to ignore all the changes, which makes me think he knows something big is happening. The infant car seat has been installed in my car by the police, and Wednesday night we're taking our last class (Infant CPR).

I've got a therapist lined up in case of post-partum depression. Not all of us are lucky enough to have Crazy Tom Cruise to personally direct our treatment in case it happens. I've read a bunch about labor and delivery. Now I'm actually trying to read books about breastfeeding, infant care, and how to calm a crying baby.

I've stockpiled a lot of our groceries so we won't have to go out much at first. My husband will be off work 3 weeks after the birth, and then our moms will come (one at a time) followed by my sister and maybe a couple of friends. We live far from our families, so it's not one of those situations where we'll have tons of people around.

Now the only questions remain:

Will I go into labor or be induced?
Will I deliver or have an unplanned C-section?
And most important: will he be okay?

This is still scary, but it's getting better. Much better. I'm getting excited. And I think I'm about as ready as I'm going to be.

10 Comments:

  • Things sound great and I can't wait to hear your birth story. Isn't it surreal to be near the end?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:23 AM  

  • I can't believe how close you are. I found this link that looked good about comparing different cord blood places the other day: http://www.parentsguidecordblood.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 AM  

  • Jenn, that is a great link. My husband found that site last night. We're going to try to make a decision tonight and get it taken care of -- it's too bad we left it so late, but I can't really say I'm surprised. I just hope we have time to take care of whatever we decide to do!

    By Blogger Susie, at 10:45 AM  

  • Wow. Almost there, Susie. How amazing, and how wonderful!

    I'm getting a bit choked up here...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 AM  

  • Susie, Wow. Wishing you an easy, happy delivery. It indeed sounds like you've done all you can do to prepare. You'll be ready.

    By Blogger Mellie, at 11:12 AM  

  • I had GD, they talked me into induction I didn't want to do it but I was on insulin 3 times a day and they told me the placenta was deteriorating so I agreed.

    My only advice to you is to get the epidural before they break your waters - if they do that. I was induced at 9am and by 3 they wanted to speed things up so they broke my waters, the next 20 minutes were horrendous and I ended up screaming for pain relief (I had planned a drug-free birth) got the epidural and it was just lovely!

    I pushed for 3 hours but baby was going nowhere, they thought his shoulder was stuck so they talked me into a c-section, to be honest, I was happy to just get it over with at that point. The c-section wasn't too bad, except the spinal caused me to go numb from the chest down, I couln't feel myself breathe and freaked out, they sedated me so I missed the whole thing which was a bummer.

    Anyway, this was supposed to be a short post to wish you luck and advise you to get the epidural (if you're planning on getting one, and even if you're not :c)) BEFORE they break your waters.

    The very nest of luck to you, wishing you a safe speedy delivery and a happy healthy baby.

    By Blogger Boliath, at 11:22 AM  

  • Just read through your whole blog... good luck!

    By Blogger DrSpouse, at 4:43 PM  

  • Wow, Susie, it could happen any time now. How exciting! You're in my thoughts and prayers for a smooth delivery and lots of joy. Please keep us posted.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:40 PM  

  • OMG. You've got someone lined up to give us all the details while you're laid up, right?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13 PM  

  • I'm so glad that all is going well! I hope the excitement persists, and that you have a wonderful, safe, healthy birth and baby!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home