Still Not Normal
I am now 30 weeks pregnant. It seems pretty hard to believe, but it's true. I still catch myself wondering sometimes if it's really going to happen, but most of the time now I'm thinking about what I still need to get done before the end of January.
My crankiness at the moment rivals the first trimester. I can also feel myself turning inward, focusing a lot less on external relationships and more on my own feelings. I guess this is normal for the third trimester, but I feel antisocial and strange. And my poor husband is dealing with the worst of the bitchiness and stress. He's being great, but I feel bad (in my saner moments, which are few and far between).
The gestational diabetes has added a lot of stress to the pregnancy over the last couple of weeks. I am following the diet and checking my blood glucose levels but I wouldn't call it under control. All my post-meal numbers are fine (unless there is an obvious reason, like a burrito full of rice or my husband's birthday cake), but my morning fasting numbers are a different story. Not once have I come in under the number they want (90), even after choking down natural peanut butter right before bed. So last night I got up at 3 AM for a yogurt (recommended by the dietician) and that didn't help either. I suspect that nightly insulin is in my future.
Whatever. I am dealing with it as well as I can. I don't like the pressure that comes with this diagnosis, but I don't really feel much like dwelling on it either. Suffice it to say that I know a lot of people have a lot worse problems to deal with. Yet another miscarriage, for instance. It seems like a lot of my sisters in recurrent miscarriage are living through the special hell of spontaneous abortion at the moment, and I am feeling very sad for them.
I've been thinking about my own miscarriages a lot lately. I guess because I'm experiencing all these parts of pregnancy that I never reached before, and it makes me think of what I missed back in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004. Sometimes it blows my mind that if my first pregnancy had worked out, I would have a four-year-old right now. And I'd probably be dealing with SIF. I mean, even in the one pregnancy I've had that actually progressed, I still lost an embryo at 9 weeks. Just like always. I'm just grateful we started with two this time.
I can understand why long-term IF puts you at greater risk for postpartum depression, I really can. Thank goodness I already have a therapist lined up, just in case.
Everything's not all doom and gloom, though. Last night we started our childbirth class. I had already read a lot of what we discussed, but it was good to be able to ask questions. I almost felt like a normal person, except for when the nurse singled me out as the only gestational diabetic in the room, and said things might be different for me at delivery. Like I couldn't have guessed.
And yesterday my coworkers surprised me with a small baby shower. I was very shocked. I was glad it was a surprise, although I don't normally like surprises very much. But because I didn't know about it, I didn't have a chance to get all freaked out beforehand. It was really nice of them. I certainly didn't expect anyone to throw my cranky ass a shower.
My crankiness at the moment rivals the first trimester. I can also feel myself turning inward, focusing a lot less on external relationships and more on my own feelings. I guess this is normal for the third trimester, but I feel antisocial and strange. And my poor husband is dealing with the worst of the bitchiness and stress. He's being great, but I feel bad (in my saner moments, which are few and far between).
The gestational diabetes has added a lot of stress to the pregnancy over the last couple of weeks. I am following the diet and checking my blood glucose levels but I wouldn't call it under control. All my post-meal numbers are fine (unless there is an obvious reason, like a burrito full of rice or my husband's birthday cake), but my morning fasting numbers are a different story. Not once have I come in under the number they want (90), even after choking down natural peanut butter right before bed. So last night I got up at 3 AM for a yogurt (recommended by the dietician) and that didn't help either. I suspect that nightly insulin is in my future.
Whatever. I am dealing with it as well as I can. I don't like the pressure that comes with this diagnosis, but I don't really feel much like dwelling on it either. Suffice it to say that I know a lot of people have a lot worse problems to deal with. Yet another miscarriage, for instance. It seems like a lot of my sisters in recurrent miscarriage are living through the special hell of spontaneous abortion at the moment, and I am feeling very sad for them.
I've been thinking about my own miscarriages a lot lately. I guess because I'm experiencing all these parts of pregnancy that I never reached before, and it makes me think of what I missed back in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004. Sometimes it blows my mind that if my first pregnancy had worked out, I would have a four-year-old right now. And I'd probably be dealing with SIF. I mean, even in the one pregnancy I've had that actually progressed, I still lost an embryo at 9 weeks. Just like always. I'm just grateful we started with two this time.
I can understand why long-term IF puts you at greater risk for postpartum depression, I really can. Thank goodness I already have a therapist lined up, just in case.
Everything's not all doom and gloom, though. Last night we started our childbirth class. I had already read a lot of what we discussed, but it was good to be able to ask questions. I almost felt like a normal person, except for when the nurse singled me out as the only gestational diabetic in the room, and said things might be different for me at delivery. Like I couldn't have guessed.
And yesterday my coworkers surprised me with a small baby shower. I was very shocked. I was glad it was a surprise, although I don't normally like surprises very much. But because I didn't know about it, I didn't have a chance to get all freaked out beforehand. It was really nice of them. I certainly didn't expect anyone to throw my cranky ass a shower.

7 Comments:
I'm sorry the GD hasn't been easier to deal with. It sounds like it really sucks. The baby shower sounded really nice. Isn't it surreal going through all of these rites of pregnancy?
By
Anonymous, at 5:58 PM
Yay for 30 weeks - wahoo! I think it's completely normal to be thinking of your m/c's and what might have been. But then again, I'm a freakshow, so there you go. Love the surprise shower!
By
Anonymous, at 8:56 PM
Congratulations on reaching 30 weeks, such a wonderful accomplishment. Hope you can avoid the insulin, and I'm dreadfully sorry to hear about your friends, how horrifying. I am so with you on not liking surprises; I also have a secret dread that IF (big if) I ever have a baby shower, I won't know what any of the gear is. Hope you got lots of nice easy-to-understand gifts.
By
Anonymous, at 8:59 PM
I'm having the same problem with fasting sugars. I keep getting threatened with night time insulin. It's frustrating because you just can't do anything to bring it down. Good luck.
By
Anonymous, at 10:15 PM
Susie, I'm so sorry about the diabetes...
...and I'm so glad you're at 30 weeks, and that you've got such nice support.
I can imagine that you are thinking about your miscarriages more now. From what I've read, it doesn't seem as if successful pregnancy and birth "cures" infertility and its associated traumas, as many would expect. It complicates the feelings, but it seems that they never really go away. I'm glad you've got someone lined up in case PPD hits... but I am so hoping you will be spared that experience, at least.
By
Anonymous, at 3:36 AM
Congratulations on making it to 30 weeks, Susie! I truly am happy that your pregnancy is progressing so well. After all the heartache you went through in the past to get to this point, you richly deserve this good fortune.
I'm sorry that you are feeling cranky and having trouble getting the gestational diabetes under control. I hope that things improve with that because I can imagine that it's quite stressful.
I think you are very wise to have a therapist lined up just in case you experience any PPD. My counselor who I saw after my third miscarriage told me that PPD is not completely uncommon in recurrent miscarriers. Hopefully you won't have any problems, but it is smart to be prepared.
How nice that your coworkers threw you a surprise baby shower! Wow, that is quite a milestone. I hope that you basked in the glory of it and got lots of good loot for the baby.
By
Anonymous, at 3:42 PM
Susie, just thinking of you and hope you're doing better now...
By
Anonymous, at 4:59 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home