8 weeks together
Today this little guy is 8 weeks old:

We are doing fine here. He's settling in nicely, gaining and growing like he should be, and is more of a joy every day. We're settling in too, as parents. I love the fun of playtime and bathtime, and I'm finally learning to recognize when naptime needs to happen (and help it to happen, like right now).
Despite the six years I spent waiting and hoping for a child, I was pretty unprepared when I finally got my chance. A big part of it was that I was scared to think/read about what it would be like after the baby got here, because I was terrified something bad would happen at the last minute. Even when they were tugging him out of my body (probably the wierdest feeling of my life) I could hardly believe it was really happening. And then, there he was. I always said I'd believe he was really coming when I saw him with my own two eyes, but even after I saw him, I still found it hard to believe for a while. Like, for a month or so. Yes, the baby was in my arms, but I had a hard time believing it. So strange.
And like so many have said, getting here doesn't erase what happened before. I know this isn't news to anyone reading this blog, it can't be. But having him here now, I can't help but think that my first one would have been five years old in a couple of months. And my MIL doesn't help matters. It's like now that we have a baby, she thinks that all the years of insensitive remarks and actions are just erased. I have forgiven, but I don't think I can forget. It's a long story, and one I can't get into now, but the feelings haven't gone away.
The other thing I think about a lot now is whether I'd do it again. Yeah, I know it's soon. But if we do want to do it again, we don't have long to wait. We started trying when I was 31; I'm 37 now. Those odds aren't great for having another, if we wait for long. So I'm thinking about it.
Before he arrived, when I was pregnant, I felt like we'd have to try again. I even said so in Julie's comments. Now that he's here, I just don't know. I didn't love pregnancy and I doubt I would love it if I got to do it a second time, but that's not why. The C-section was fine, my recovery was really easy so that's not holding me back. The breastfeeding... god, if I got to do it again I'd try once more, but I'd try not to be so devastated if it didn't work out.
But the main thing holding me back now is that I don't want to have any more miscarriages. I just don't want any more. Five miscarriages plus the "vanishing twin" -- six embryos, pregnancies, babies, however you think of them -- that's a lot of lost potential. And now that he's finally here, the thought of losing another one suddenly feels even worse than it did before. I mean, of course, before we succeeded, I had more of a drive to keep going until we made it happen. I grieved every one we lost, but I was determined to keep on going. Now I just don't know.
Of course, this is how I feel today. Tomorrow could be totally different. Either way, the thought of going back to treatment is daunting. Not that we'd start right away, but within a couple of years for sure.
In the meantime, he is great. And he's plenty. I am just so grateful he's here. I wrote thank-you notes to all my doctors with the birth announcement. It was a lot of doctors. RE, OB, diabetes doctor, therapist, and my non-stress test nurse. A thank-you note was a very small thing compared to the size of my gratitude. I hope they all realized that.

We are doing fine here. He's settling in nicely, gaining and growing like he should be, and is more of a joy every day. We're settling in too, as parents. I love the fun of playtime and bathtime, and I'm finally learning to recognize when naptime needs to happen (and help it to happen, like right now).
Despite the six years I spent waiting and hoping for a child, I was pretty unprepared when I finally got my chance. A big part of it was that I was scared to think/read about what it would be like after the baby got here, because I was terrified something bad would happen at the last minute. Even when they were tugging him out of my body (probably the wierdest feeling of my life) I could hardly believe it was really happening. And then, there he was. I always said I'd believe he was really coming when I saw him with my own two eyes, but even after I saw him, I still found it hard to believe for a while. Like, for a month or so. Yes, the baby was in my arms, but I had a hard time believing it. So strange.
And like so many have said, getting here doesn't erase what happened before. I know this isn't news to anyone reading this blog, it can't be. But having him here now, I can't help but think that my first one would have been five years old in a couple of months. And my MIL doesn't help matters. It's like now that we have a baby, she thinks that all the years of insensitive remarks and actions are just erased. I have forgiven, but I don't think I can forget. It's a long story, and one I can't get into now, but the feelings haven't gone away.
The other thing I think about a lot now is whether I'd do it again. Yeah, I know it's soon. But if we do want to do it again, we don't have long to wait. We started trying when I was 31; I'm 37 now. Those odds aren't great for having another, if we wait for long. So I'm thinking about it.
Before he arrived, when I was pregnant, I felt like we'd have to try again. I even said so in Julie's comments. Now that he's here, I just don't know. I didn't love pregnancy and I doubt I would love it if I got to do it a second time, but that's not why. The C-section was fine, my recovery was really easy so that's not holding me back. The breastfeeding... god, if I got to do it again I'd try once more, but I'd try not to be so devastated if it didn't work out.
But the main thing holding me back now is that I don't want to have any more miscarriages. I just don't want any more. Five miscarriages plus the "vanishing twin" -- six embryos, pregnancies, babies, however you think of them -- that's a lot of lost potential. And now that he's finally here, the thought of losing another one suddenly feels even worse than it did before. I mean, of course, before we succeeded, I had more of a drive to keep going until we made it happen. I grieved every one we lost, but I was determined to keep on going. Now I just don't know.
Of course, this is how I feel today. Tomorrow could be totally different. Either way, the thought of going back to treatment is daunting. Not that we'd start right away, but within a couple of years for sure.
In the meantime, he is great. And he's plenty. I am just so grateful he's here. I wrote thank-you notes to all my doctors with the birth announcement. It was a lot of doctors. RE, OB, diabetes doctor, therapist, and my non-stress test nurse. A thank-you note was a very small thing compared to the size of my gratitude. I hope they all realized that.

7 Comments:
SO glad you've checked in. He's beautiful!
So gorgeous!
And I know...I know.
By
Anonymous, at 9:06 AM
Hi, Susie. Thanks for posting the photo of the little guy; he is adorable, and his smile is contagious...I found myself smiling as I looked at him.
If/when the time is right to try again for another baby, I trust that you'll know. In the meantime, I'm glad that you're enjoying your son.
By
Anonymous, at 1:54 PM
Dear Susie, what a cutie! Thanks for the update and the picture.
I can imagine how hard it is to fathom holding your baby after all you've gone through, and am very glad it's started to sink in now! As for your thoughts and doubts, I can imagine them too. Things are bound to be a little clearer in a little while -- give yourself a little time to settle into this, and to gather your strength. You've been through so much -- body and soul -- and need a breather.
Take care of yourself, my dear.
I'm so very glad for you, and hoping that all is well on the medical front...
By
Anonymous, at 9:05 AM
Very cute! Looks like we're exactly opposite - recovery for me was awful, but bfing not an issue and I loved being pregnant and did think about #2 - now? Depends on the day. Time is running out though and I hate that we're going to have to move quickly if we're going to do anything.
By
Anonymous, at 8:57 AM
That is one beautiful baby! I've already been thinking of the possibility of #2 too...(it freaks me out that I'm able to say that, how greedy am I?), it's just so daunting for some reason. I also know what you mean about not being able to believe it even with the baby here. I felt like I was babysitting for someone else for the first month or so, but now? This is the life! I cry everytime she smiles and I adore bathtime too...
By
Anonymous, at 5:19 PM
It's amazing how resilient we are. I remember after my third miscarriage I thought I'd never try again. That feeling didn't last long.
I didn't particularly like being pregnant, and I had a c-section too. But like you none of that seemed daunting, it was just the miscarriages that I was terrified of.
I have no advice. I guess I'm just saying you'll probably change your mind a million times, and that's okay. It's impossible to make a choice in the first three months, because they are such an amazing rollercoaster in and of themselves.
By
Anonymous, at 8:20 PM
What a beautiful picture, I'm so pleased he and you are doing so well.
I think about number 2 a lot. Right now, I think I will leap straight in as soon as it makes sense, but I know I don't know anything until I've got number 1 in my arms. Good luck with the decision making.
By
Thalia, at 1:24 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home