It's not a habit.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Blessed Weekend

My mom is here, and that is wonderful.

She brought me a whole box of peaches from home (Georgia). Boy, am I a lucky girl. I already had one sliced up on butter pecan ice cream (last night) and one on my Cheerios (this morning). I predict that there will be many more peaches in my near future.

I don't think I mentioned this here, but I went to a maternity store last Sunday. I felt like such an impostor. Despite this being my sixth pregnancy, I have never before set foot in a maternity store, much less bought anything marketed as "maternity clothing." Last week I got two summer shirts on sale, suitable for work, and a cute outfit with shorts and a top. I figured that if this all continues to go forward, by the time I break down and need something to wear, they won't have any summer stuff left and I'll be stuck. At least, that's how I rationalized it. On the other hand, it was really freaky. The cashier asked me if I was interested in a subscription to "Parenting" magazine and I just stared, dumbfounded, until I gathered my wits enough to mutter, "I'm not ready for that yet."

But today I'm actually thinking of going to Target and checking out the starter pants. Because every last pair of pants I have is tight in the waist now, and it's so uncomfortable. I am reduced to wearing whatever I have with an elastic/drawstring waist. Which isn't much, since I normally eschew drawstring waists. But now I'm beginning to see the appeal. Even if I do feel like a freak, even thinking about maternity clothes.

5 Comments:

  • My first maternity purchase was a pair of pants at Motherhood. And I remember that Parenting magazine question too. I was just so taken aback.

    In fact, they ask it everytime I go and I still say no.

    I noticed that my maternity style is very different from my regular clothes. You know...I am miss black clothes. And I own only one black t-shirt in maternity clothes. I went all bright. It's not often you get to start a new wardrobe ;)

    Have fun with Mom. And I am soooo jealous of the peaches..."Georgia Peach"es ;)

    By Blogger Amanda, at 10:35 AM  

  • Yay. Peaches from Georgia. I live in NC and can't get a good one. Same with Vidalia onions. I think they are truly only good within a few hundred miles of where they're grown, which is too bad.

    Hope you and the two little peaches are doing okay.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:56 AM  

  • Congratulations on going into a maternity store. I always answer "no" to the Parenting question too. But I'm private... freakishly so. I also don't give them my name when I'm ringing it up. As a former direct marketing person, I'm reluctant to give away any personal information... hate to have my name sold even though I formerly made a living doing doing direct mail.

    Good luck. Target has some good transition pants. And so does, remarkably, Old Navy Maternity.

    I just dug out my box of old maternity clothes because everything is getting so tight... and I've stumbled on all the old clothes I bought _before_ I worked up the courage to purchase maternity. I waited until I was almost 20 months to buy maternity clothes last time... and instead bought an assortment of larger sizes at Ross. I'm normally a size 12, but ended up wearing 14, then 16, then 18... all so I could "conceal" my tummy. I must have looked ridiculous in those baggy clothes... I've repressed the whole experience (LOL) so I can't really recall... but this time around I'll be so much happier (I hope) sporting maternity clothes. At least I hope I get to.

    Still no call from Dr. Charming so I think it'll be next week before I get that damned ultrasound.

    Have a nice 4th with your mom.

    By Blogger Kat, at 12:58 AM  

  • Imposter is the perfect work for how I feel too.

    Glad you were able to muster the courage for the maternity clothes purchase.

    By Blogger PJ, at 9:57 AM  

  • Congratulations on your foray into the maternity clothing store! That's a big step.

    The peaches sound delicious. I LOVE peaches and eat them like crazy when they are locally in season here. There's not much that tastes better than a perfectly ripe, juicy peach.

    Enjoy your time with your mom. I'm glad that things are going well for you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home