New Doctor
The meeting at the OB/GYN's office yesterday went fine. I really like the lead physician (there are four in the practice) and felt comfortable with her. The practice itself is in an old Victorian house, right across the street from the hospital, and the primary doc lives on the third floor.
I asked about the hospital, and she said it was a very good place to deliver. My RE has encouraged me to stay at the large teaching hospital he works out of, but it's an hour away and I just can't commit to that right now. If it becomes necessary later on, due to complications or whatever, we'll reconsider. For now, we're going with the local option. It's only 15 minutes from our house.
The doctor was nice, and asked us about our experiences living overseas and also talked with us about how we've handled all these miscarriages. I personally believe that our time in Germany was what allowed me to finally get some perspective on the losses, so it was interesting that she seemed to understand that or at least suspect it. It's certainly true that the losses I experienced during and after our 2 years in Munich have been a lot easier for me to take in stride than the ones that happened before we went. Not that it's ever really "easy," but somehow I didn't lose myself in the pain the way I did with the earlier ones.
So, it went well yesterday. The doctor seemed to understand both how scary and how exciting this whole thing is. And if I hadn't already liked her so much I would have been won over by the end of our meeting. "This is going to be fun!" she said, and then turned to me. "What you need to do right now is just enjoy your pregnancy." That is the kind of advice I can deal with.
I asked about the hospital, and she said it was a very good place to deliver. My RE has encouraged me to stay at the large teaching hospital he works out of, but it's an hour away and I just can't commit to that right now. If it becomes necessary later on, due to complications or whatever, we'll reconsider. For now, we're going with the local option. It's only 15 minutes from our house.
The doctor was nice, and asked us about our experiences living overseas and also talked with us about how we've handled all these miscarriages. I personally believe that our time in Germany was what allowed me to finally get some perspective on the losses, so it was interesting that she seemed to understand that or at least suspect it. It's certainly true that the losses I experienced during and after our 2 years in Munich have been a lot easier for me to take in stride than the ones that happened before we went. Not that it's ever really "easy," but somehow I didn't lose myself in the pain the way I did with the earlier ones.
So, it went well yesterday. The doctor seemed to understand both how scary and how exciting this whole thing is. And if I hadn't already liked her so much I would have been won over by the end of our meeting. "This is going to be fun!" she said, and then turned to me. "What you need to do right now is just enjoy your pregnancy." That is the kind of advice I can deal with.

5 Comments:
So glad you found a practice that you like, so important. It also sounds like you really are enjoying your pregnancy...as you should, my dear!
By
Anonymous, at 8:00 AM
Sounds like the place to be. Congrats.
By
Anonymous, at 10:35 AM
How wonderful Susie. It's great to have a doctor that's as excited as you are. And I'll take a 15 minute commute over an hour commute any day.
By
PJ, at 11:06 AM
All that sounds perfect, Susie. And you certainly deserve it to be. Do try and enjoy it!
By
Mellie, at 11:27 AM
Your new doctor sounds great! I'm so glad that you liked her; I imagine that probably gives you some peace of mind, knowing that you are in good hands.
If you ever feel like writing more about how your time in Germany helped you get perspective on your losses, I would be interested to hear it.
By
Anonymous, at 1:12 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home