It's not a habit.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Deja Vu

In many ways, this pregnancy is very different from the previous one. Obviously, it started very differently - at home instead of at the doctor's office. I still can hardly believe that. But it's progressed very differently, as well. By 21 weeks last time, I had already had well over ten ultrasounds - one of them in the emergency room following a bleeding scare. This time, I've had four: two early ultrasounds, the nuchal, and the level 2. Last time, I ordered a doppler and used it; this time, I decided not to. And this time, up to now, there have been no scares - no spotting, no bleeding, no trips to the hospital way too early. It has been positively amazing. I only hope it continues that way.

However, in some significant ways, this pregnancy is just like the last one. Last time, around 20 to 21 weeks, I started experiencing crushing anxiety that drove me to find a therapist. This time, it started right on schedule. I hit 21 weeks yesterday, and I'm finding it a challenge to deal with small but out of the ordinary things, like wildlife getting in the house (a reality when you live in the country) and the repeated destruction of a campaign sign in my yard. I'm also feeling a kind of bone-deep anxiety about my 2.5 year old son's well-being that I haven't felt since shortly after he was born. I think it is time, once again, to find someone to talk to.

* * *

We found out at our Level 2 ultrasound that we are having another boy. We are so glad, and it's funny, because last time I felt sad that it wasn't a girl. This time, I was actually relieved. I love my little boy so much. I am so glad he'll have a brother.

3 Comments:

  • Dear Susie, I'm so glad this pregnancy is progressing so well. Great news! And great news, also, about having another boy. I can understand you so well -- I would feel the same if I found out I was having another girl. It's the idea of having another one just like the first!

    I'm very sorry about your anxiety, and hope you can find someone good to talk to about it. May it pass soon. Thinking of you and wishing you peace of mind.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:35 AM  

  • Congrats on your little boy! I'm sorry you are dealing with anxiety again. I have had the same issues throughout this pregnancy, and have experienced some real lows that have manifested themselves as worry over Julia too. The good thing is that you dealt with it last time and you know where to go again. I hope it's relieved quickly.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:55 AM  

  • That's great news. I was so anxious when I was pregnant. I wonder a lot if it will happen again should I get pregnant with number #2.

    By Blogger Eggs Akimbo, at 2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home